Thursday, July 21, 2016

My Drive to Work, and a Warning.

Today I had to stop and get gas for my car. It is one of those things that serves as an irritant. A constant source of barely tolerable disgust. I buy a car, insurance, oil changes, tires, breaks, gasoline. It never ends. I love my car, a 2012 Toyota RAV4. It is the best car I have ever owned. But it is constantly costing money.  But, to get to work you need transportation.

In this city our mass transit is barely usable. There are several bus stops within walking distance of my house and my job, but to get to work at my scheduled time it would take over an hour. It is a 15 minute drive most days. I would love to be able to ride the bus. Sit back, play a game on my phone, read, write a blog post. But, that is too long, it would drive me crazy.

Driving is not a real strength. "I am a dreamer. a wisher, a liar a hoper a prayer, a magic bean buyer."* And living life is what I do, one little fantasy at a time. Yes, I know sometimes I am living a lie, or even worse, somebody else's life, I can live with that.

 Unfortunately that does not always translate to solid behind the wheel abilities. If there are two right hand turn lanes I will always take the left lane that does not have the option of turning on red. I don't need that kind of pressure.

When driving down the freeway to work I always leave a safe distance. If somebody slides in to that space I slow down until I have a safe distance. Yes, it irritates the drivers behind me, but they can pass and slide in front of me. Raising their blood pressure, promoting tooth decay, adding stress to their day. It is ok with me. I will get to work, safe. And pretty close to on time, happily whistling the song that was playing when I got out of the car.

So, I am tethered to my car, and the world is stuck with an easily distracted blogger as a driver. My carbon footprint remains unchanged. Life is an odd place at times. You want to do the right thing, and circumstances build obstacles.

If you see me coming don't bother waving I probably won't see you. I have things to think about after all.



*Thank you, Shel Silverstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment